- Proper technique of IUCD insertion should be followed to avoid primary perforation. However, spontaneous perforation and migration can occur in rare instances such as this, and is often quite unpredictable. Removal of the IUCD is indicated in asymptomatic patients also, and the use of minimally invasive techniques is possible in selected patients.
- Mederos R, Humaran L, Minervini D. Surgical removal of an intrauterine device perforating the sigmoid colon: a case report. Int J Surg. 2008; 6(6):e60-2.
- Chi E, Rosenfeld D, Sokol TP. Laparoscopic removal of an intrauterine device perforating the sigmoid colon: a case report and review of the literature. Am Surg. 2005; 71(12):1055-7.
- Arslan A, Kanat-Pektas M, Yesilyurt H, Bilge U. Colon penetration by a copper intrauterine device: a case report with literature review. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2009; 279(3):395-7.
- Zeino MY, Wietfeldt ED, Advani V, Ahad S, Younkin C, Hassan I. Laparoscopic removal of a copper intrauterine device from the sigmoid colon. JSLS 2011; 15(4): 568- 70.
Editor-in-chief: Parulekar SV
Co-editor: Gupta AS, Madhva Prasad
Ulrich, Caspur, Google Scholar, Academic Keys, HINARI-WHO, Scientific Indexing Services, Research Bible, CiteFactor, Infobase Index, Advanced Science Index, International Innovative Journal Impact Factor, Directory of Research Journals Indexing, Directory of Science.